Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Matthew 13:34–35

Matthew 13:34–35 (ESV): Prophecy and Parables

Synopsis

This passage simply mentions that all of Jesus’ teaching to the crowds was in parables, fulfilling “what was spoken by the prophet,” and then giving the following quote:
I will open my mouth in parables;
  I will utter what has been hidden since the foundation of the world.

Which seems to be referring to Psalm 78:

I will open my mouth in a parable;
  I will utter dark sayings from of old

(Psalm 78:2 (ESV))

Thoughts

This passage tells us that Jesus did all of his teaching through parables, although it doesn’t say why he taught in parables; for that, we’ll have to wait until we get to Luke 8:9–15 (ESV), or Mark 4:10–20 (ESV).

When this passage says that Jesus said nothing to the crowd without a parable, I don’t think that means that there was never, ever an instance where Jesus taught a crowd without using a parable; I think it just means that this was his usual mode of teaching. I could be wrong on that.

No comments: